I suggest you ...

Provide an option for combined summary emails

I now have a few projects in Exceptionless, and I am receiving daily summary emails from each project.

I previously entered a suggestion about adding a little more information to the daily summary emails, but now I have a couple of other concerns:
- the daily summary emails arrive at very different times for each project (I receive one at about 1am, a different project late morning, and another one early in the afternoon)
- as I continue to migrate more projects to Exceptionless, the number of daily summary emails will increase potentially to the point of becoming very cumbersome.

May I suggest allowing an option of a combined summary email for all projects?

Also, whether you provide a combined summary email or not, would you also consider allowing us to specify a time of day for delivery of these emails? I understand that you want to distribute the delivery of the emails over the day and that you cannot guarantee a time of delivery - I don't mean that we should be able to specify a specific time of day, but a more general option such as "early morning", "evening", "afternoon", etc.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Philip shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We always try to send the email after 8-9am in your local time every morning. This is placed in a queue and sent whenever the system has time.

It would be nice to be able to specify a general time of day to send reports. Would you mind submitting a pull request for this functionality? One would need to create a new setting on the project and update the Daily Notification job (https://github.com/exceptionless/Exceptionless/blob/master/Source/Core/Jobs/DailyNotificationJob.cs).

I really do like the idea of having a organization summary. How do you think this would work? Do you think this should just be the default email that is sent? What if you don’t care about a project?

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Philip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A minor correction to my previous comment:

In the combined overview email (the last section of the previous comment), instead of this line after the logo:
        Project Overview for Mon-DD-YYYY

It should be:
        Organization Overview for Mon-DD-YYYY

[I'm replying to 2 different suggestions here - combined summary emails, and adding more information to the daily summary emails. My apologies for such a long comment.]

The current daily summary emails for each project are similar to the following.

(1) Project with errors in the previous 24 hours

SUBJECT: [PROJECT] Summary for MM/DD/YYYY
        [Exceptionless-logo]
        Summary for MM/DD/YYYY
        The [PROJECT] project had 1 total, 1 unique, and 1 new errors.
        View Dashboard
        Other Actions
        Change your notification settings for this project

(2) Project with no recent errors

SUBJECT: [PROJECT] Summary for MM/DD/YYYY
        [Exceptionless-logo]
        Summary for MM/DD/YYYY
        Congrats! The [PROJECT] project was exceptionless!
        View Dashboard
        Other Actions

[As an aside, I always prefer to display dates in a non-ambiguous world-wide format in situations like this, such as "3-Apr-2014" or "Apr-3-2014", instead of 4/3/2014.]

For the daily summary emails for each project, I suggest:
        - Adding something like "from Exceptionless" in the subject
        - Including an indication of errors or no errors in the subject
        - Including a single line of (perhaps) the most recent error in either type (error or no error) of email

Suggested Example: Project with errors

SUBJECT: [PROJECT] Summary (1 error) for Mon-DD-YYYY from Exceptionless
        [Exceptionless-logo]
        Summary for Mon-DD-YYYY
        The [PROJECT] project had 1 total, 1 unique, and 1 new errors.
        Most recent (non-404 error): InvalidOperationException in [...] 3 hours ago
        View Dashboard
        Other Actions

Suggested Example: Project with no recent errors

SUBJECT: [PROJECT] (OK) for Mon-DD-YYYY from Exceptionless
        [Exceptionless-logo]
        Summary for Mon-DD-YYYY
        Congrats! The [PROJECT] project was exceptionless!
        Most recent (non-404 error): InvalidOperationException in [...] 5 days ago
        View Dashboard
        Other Actions

Note: For the subject line, I considered "1 error" (or "n errors") for the first case and "no errors" for the second case; however, it is helpful to have subject lines that allow you to search in your email client and in that case searching for "error" in the subject line would return all summary emails. You don't need to use "n error(s)" and "OK" for the 2 cases, but the 2 types of summary subject lines should be easy to differentiate in a search in email. Instead of "OK", you could, for example, use normal, healthy, good, exceptionless, etc.

For the suggestion regarding a combined summary email, perhaps you could have another option in the per-project notifications section (per-user):
        - "Send daily project summary" [existing option]
        - "Include in daily overview of all projects" [new option]

The combined overview email for all (selected) projects could be similar to:

SUBJECT: [ORGANIZATION] Overview of projects for Mon-DD-YYYY from Exceptionless
        [Exceptionless-logo]
        Project Overview for Mon-DD-YYYY
        The [PROJECT-1] project had 1 total, 1 unique, and 1 new errors.
        Most recent (non-404 error): InvalidOperationException in [...] 3 hours ago
        Actions: View_Dashboard Notification_settings
        Congrats! The [PROJECT-2] project was exceptionless!
        Most recent (non-404 error): InvalidOperationException in [...] 5 days ago
        Actions: View_Dashboard Notification_settings

I do receive the email for one project at around 1am each day.

I will add some comments about how I think this should work later.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base