I suggest you ...

Display type of outer exception

Currently the type of an exception is displayed as the "inner exception" of the exception. However, this type often is not as informative of the error and error-context as the actual exception. (e.g. the type of the NpgsqlException is always System.Exception.

Can this be changed to always displaying the type of the outer exception?

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Vincent Verschuren shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vincent Verschuren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. It would be very beneficiary to have all exceptions, the inner, all the way up to the out exception. The inner exception often describes what technically goes wrong, but the outer exception gives information about the context that caused the exception.

• AdminExceptionless Support (Admin, Exceptionless) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my experience, most of the time the outer exception is a wrapper exception and not very useful. I think what we need is the ability to have more control over the stacking algorithm. Maybe being able to specify exception types that are always wrapper exception types like AggregateException, etc.

Vincent, we do display the entire exception stack. Are you saying that we should display all exception types in the list view?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base